Note: After I bought this book, Mr. Bezo announced his transition from CEO of Amazon to chairman. While I was reading this, I thought this might be a good book to reflect Mr. Bezo’s time as the CEO of Amazon.
This book are separated into to two sections, shareholder letters and interviews. In the annual shareholder letters, it’s a good historical record of Amazon. In the interviews, it is more about Mr. Bezo’s personal lesson.
Here are some lessons I learned from the interviews:
- It is harder to be kind than clever.
- Take action so when one look back, they don’t regret of omitting the opportunity.
- Sleep 8 hours a day for a clear mind to make good decision.
- Choose a missionary over mercenaries.
- On making decision, a reversible and consequential decision is different. Reversible decision is quick decision, consequential decision takes time and inputs from others.
- Disagree and commit.