Originals by Adam Grant talked about the people impacted the world were not born with certain traits.
It started with his "failure to invest in Warby Parker" experience to point out that our wrong perception on how successful people look or do things certain ways. It was not always college drop outs or risk takers could start a successful company.
Grant pointed out that for one popular painting by Picasso or famous play by Shakespeare also came with many more unrecognized paintings and unsuccessful plays.
Grant also made suggestions on building a successful company should look for culture behavior fit instead of cultural fit. It is because if a company only looked for people who were similar would make a company less likely to have breakthrough.
- Ban the words like, love, and hate. In the team conversation, replace these "emotional" words with "fact".
- Think from the opposite sides to encourage aggressive defense.
- It's better to link good behavior to good moral character.
- Emphasize values over rule.
- Explain how bad behavior would hurt other people.
Originals gave me confirmation on how I would stop being too reliable on the popular media, instead, rely more on what's going on beneath the surface.